SuperBAD is an Android demonstration app that showcases a few basic functional features that Android developers typically learn first. The project is based off of lessons taught from the Android Developers website and was developed as I took the time to learn about Android programming over one winter break. The project was started in late December 2012 and completed in early January 2013. The app does not have any practical real-world uses, but you are still free to download and test it out for yourself!
- Text Input
- Data Modification
- External Application Interaction
- Audio Playback
- Camera Photo and Video
The time constraint to develop the app was the biggest challenge. I made it a goal to work on and finish the project during the break. Despite having a (surprisingly) busy winter break schedule, I was successfully able to finish within the final week of the break.
Some concepts seemed difficult to grasp at first, but they became easier to understand as time passed. Google has gone out of their way to make the Android Developers website easy to use and understand.
- In the Camera Demo, some devices may display a rotated image after taking a photo. This is typically an issue with the manufacturer camera app, namely Samsung. The photo shouldn’t be rotated when viewing in the ‘Gallery’ app of your device.
- If you find any bugs, please feel free to let me know about it!
- Fixed a bug where the app would crash after taking a photo in the Camera Demo.
- Be sure that you allow your device to install non-Market apps.
- In Android 4.0 and above: Settings > Security > Check Unknown sources
- In Android 2.3 and below: Settings > Applications > Check Unknown sources
- Your device will give a warning. Click OK.
- Use the browser in your device to navigate to this page and click on the download link below.
- Check your notifications, your device should let you know when the download is complete. Select the notification.
- Your device should ask if you want to install the app, select Install.
- After the install completes, you can now run the app.
File name: SuperBAD_v1.01.apk
Size: 2.38 MB
Click here to download SuperBAD
Source code for SuperBAD can be found on GitHub