My second year at Texas A&M University as a Junior has come and gone. This past year has been very memorable thanks to my friends in Computer Science, hometown friends, other college friends, and especially to the many great members in TAMU EPIC MOVEMENT! Thank you all for the memories and here’s to making sure that 2012-2013 will be even better!
Thanks & Gig Em!
For summer, I will be finishing General Chemistry II and Geology II and I’ll be done with all electives in my undergraduate career. After that, I will have nothing else to take but Computer Science and Math classes until I graduate. Looking at my workload, I’m still looking at a target graduation date of December 2013. Worst case scenario is that I may need to continue to hang for another semester as a part-time student and graduate in May 2014, which I have no complaints about. It gives me plenty of time to establish my career plan after graduation.
Where I stand now, I am now officially a senior, finally in upper-level division in my major, and I get my Aggie Ring in the fall. I may have gone through a lot of hardships in life, but I can’t express how blessed I am. I’ve been given every reason to smile and I can’t thank God enough for all of it.
The most is important part though, is that I’m not finished; I have to continue working hard. Things just don’t get easier just because they’re looking up. I pray that I don’t let my guard down and that I continue to have the strength to carry on all the way to the end. Here’s to next year!
So I spent the past 8-ish hours experimenting with both Autodesk Maya and 3ds Max. After tinkering around with both, I have come to favor 3ds Max more. I feel that Maya is better suited for animation, but to each their own of course.
This is really just a small piece of work done on my first day of using 3D modeling. I spent about 3 hours creating the 3D work (though it would take probably take a skilled person 30 minutes tops) and another 3 in Photoshop. Not exactly super-excited about the finished product, but it’s a good benchmark to start at. Here’s to my future projects, cheers.
MadCatz SFIV Round 2 TE FightStick. This stick has gone though a couple of cosmetic revisions already, but I believe this will be the last time that I modify it. Why did I decide to make it “My Little Pony” themed? I don’t know, just looks cool. I also silhouetted Rainbow Dash to make it look less girly. But it doesn’t matter, because ponies.
As you may (or may not ಠ_ಠ) already know, Project Mov was a custom arcade stick project that I finished back in February. I haven’t had the time to upload the time-lapsed video of the project because compressing 15+ hours of HD video into 6 minutes takes a long time. But alas, here it is in all of it’s supreme glory. So just sit back, relax, and prepare to be confused with everything that’s going on.
Music: Above and Beyond – Every Little Beat (Album: Group Therapy)
Project Mov is a small project I’ve been working for past couple of weeks. The goal of the project was to upgrade my old MadCatz SFIV SE Arcade Stick (the Viper Pin-Up) and make it look better and more functional. The word “mov” is actually Greek for “purple,” which was the color of my old SE stick. I was going to keep the purple theme and implement it into the new stick, but after much internal debate with myself, I decided to switch to blue.
The stick uses two PCBs (Printed Circuit Boards). The first one is the MadCatz PCB from the SE stick, which allows for compatibility with the Xbox 360. The second one is a Toodles TE Kitty PCB, which not only allows for PS3 compatibility, but also acts as a ‘gateway’ for the MadCatz PCB whenever gameplay on the 360 is needed. Unfortunately,
this PCB does not perform auto-detection, meaning that the (Left Stick/D-Pad/Right Stick) switch needs to be set to Right Stick and the ‘Back’ button needs to be held down before plugging into an Xbox 360, otherwise it will detect as a PS3 controller. Both PCBs work fine on PC, but I prefer to use the MadCatz PCB when playing.
Edit: I have been corrected by Toodles, the man himself. The Kitty actually DOES auto-detect. Since I’ve only tested on PC/PS3 so far, I assumed that it just defaulted to the Kitty board, even when connected to an Xbox 360. That’s really good to know and I’m glad that I can reap that kind of benefit. Thanks for looking out, cheers!
There wasn’t really anything sophisticated encountered when building the stick. I received some excellent advice from Toodles when I came by some issues before ordering parts. Everything went according to plan and worked perfectly from the get-go. The only thing I was disappointed about was the choice of wire color. While I really wanted to use white wire, I could only find red 22 AWG copper stranded wire in my local area. For the time being, I’m done with the project and have no plans to switch the wiring out. I will consider switching the wiring out if I can find white wire AND I can get my hands on a PS360+ PCB, which is an all-in-one, PS3/X360/PC compatible, auto-detection board. These boards are still in production and demand for them are atrociously high, so I’m not really in a rush.
I had a time-lapsed video of the entire work log, but due to carelessness with my fingers, I deleted 20+GB videos with a swift [Shift]+[Del], [Enter] keystrokes. Sorry, but hey, at least there’s pictures! Enjoy!
Edit: I inexplicably forgot that my files are always automatically backed up to my server every day. The deleted files are restored and I’ll have the video posted up some other time.
2nd Edit: Video is up and can be found here: